THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO
These natural teething remedies for babies are safe and effective ways to help your teething baby! These remedies are chemical and toxin free! They will surely help ease the pain and fussiness in your baby!
When your baby is teething, it may seem like a nightmare. They are cranky, have a runny nose, have excessive drooling, and can possibly be sleeping less. It might be exciting to see that first tooth in baby’s mouth but it’s not very fun for our babies or toddlers. The good news is there are ways to help babies cope with the side effects of the teething process! With some of these remedies, you will have a happy baby in no time!
Why Avoid Over-the-counter Remedies?
Many people ask me “Why not just give your child Tylenol or other pain relievers?”
Well, here’s the thing.. more and more studies are coming out about the dangers of Tylenol to our bodies. Not only is most infant Tylenol filled with dyes, but it also contains many other harmful chemicals.
Tylenol and Autism
Acetaminophen or Tylenol is also currently being associated with potentially causing autism in certain circumstances, especially when used during pregnancy.
Tylenol and Glutathione
You’re probably wondering what on earth glutathione is.
Glutathione acts as an important antioxidant in your body. That means it helps combat free radicals. These are molecules that can damage your body’s cells. (WebMD)
Glutathione plays a role in many chemical reactions in your body. It also helps detoxify chemicals, including some that your body creates naturally, as well as pollutants and drugs.(WebMD)
With glutathione depleted, your body is unable to properly detox and fight off infections. Tylenol is also hard on your liver which is a major organ that detoxes your body. The use of Tylenol in babies and during pregnancy has shown to decrease glutathione levels and potentially cause inflammatory lung diseases
Naturally, when I learned a lot of this information, I threw out all of our Tylenol. Not only was most of it full of sugar and dyes, but I did not want my children’s health to suffer because of it. Not to mention, natural teething remedies for babies have been around for hundreds of years and have other beneficial health properties!
What about Orajel?
The active ingredient in adult orajel is benzocaine. Benzocaine acts as a local anesthetic that shuts off the nerve endings in the gum area. The use of benzocaine gels has been advised against in recent years by the U.S. Food and drug administration and the American academy of Pediatrics. However, there are now homeopathic teething gels. Orajel now has a benzocaine-free gel (labeled baby Orajel) that I have used on my kids. I found they had very little effect on them though, but they are certainly worth a try!
The application for orajel or any teething gel is simple. With a clean finger, rub some gel along your baby’s gum line. While doing so, you could also give your baby a nice gum massage to give those sore gums some relief.
Natural Remedies for Teething Babies:
- Earthley Teeth Tamer: This herbal remedy works like magic! The herbs in this product naturally help to reduce swelling and pain while also helping to calm and relax!
- Earthley Earache Ease: Does your child get earaches or ear infections when teething? Mine do. Most of the time doctors just want to give out antibiotics, even though it is not really an ear infection or it’s most likely viral. This helps with ear pain and helps relieve inflammation in the ear!
- Wally’s Natural Ear Oil: This is also great for ear pain. The garlic helps combat any bad bacteria while offering pain relief!
- Boiron Camilia Teething Drops: These drops will help reduce pain and help keep the baby calm! I would give these to my kids and they helped them sleep so well! The chamomile works wonders by calming the baby and also reducing inflammation!
- Hyland’s Teething Tablets: This is my favorite teething remedy! I will admit, that both of my kids have had different things work for them. With my second baby, he was so fussy and this calmed him down right away! These are homeopathic teething tablets that have a combination of different plant remedies in them!
- Boiron Aconite Tablets: Aconite is the catch-all homeopathic remedy. We have used this remedy for more than just teething. When our youngest had horrible Colic, it was the only thing that would relieve how tense he was. However, for teething it works great in reducing pain, relaxing, and relieving tension!
- Copaiba Essential Oil: This oil’s “job” is to enhance whatever it is used with. So what I would do is give my baby the Hyland’s teething tablets and then rub one or two drops of Copaiba oil on baby’s gums. I could definitely tell the tablets worked faster and better when I used it with this oil!
- Peppermint Oil: Peppermint Oil is considered a cooling oil. If your little one develops fevers when teething, you could rub a roller bottle down their spine! This has helped plenty of times when my kids have fevers! You can make a roller bottle by putting ten drops of peppermint oil in a 10ml roller bottle and then topping it off with a carrier oil such as this one
- Calming Oils: You can either buy your favorite calming blend, or you can diffuse or use a roller bottle that has calming oils such as lavender, ylang-ylang, patchouli, or citrus. This will help your baby relax and sleep while they are teething!
I advise against using clove oil directly on your teething baby or teething toddler because it would be too potent for them. The Earthley teeth tamer has clove in it, but it is not potent like clove essential oil.
I also advise that you make sure your essential oil brand is a good, safe brand. Not all essential oil companies are created equal. Some companies I would use are Plant Therapy, Doterra, Rowe Casa Organics, or Simply Earth Essential Oils. However, whatever company you use, make sure they are third-party tested or they can’t be trusted!
Other Natural Teething Remedies for Babies:
There are a few other things that you can try at home that don’t involve homeopathy or natural remedies.
Amber contains succinic acid which is shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. By wearing this, the succinic acid is absorbed into the body through the skin, which may help with pain! You will want to make sure that you have a real amber necklace, so do your research on the company you buy from. My favorites are from Baltic Essentials, which are certified 100% baltic amber.
You can get a teething ring, teething mitts, basically anything soft! I recommend using natural materials like wood or silicone. Teething toys are good for more than just helping to alleviate pain! By chewing on something, a baby’s teeth can come through faster because it is breaking the gum away from the new teeth trying to pop through.
A textured teething toy also helps your baby explore new sensory things, helps with their gag reflex, and helps strengthen their jaw and cheeks for when they have their first solid foods!
If your baby is still breastfeeding, you can freeze some breastmilk and make “popsicles” from them. I like to put breastmilk in a mesh feeder and let your child chew on it! You also could dip a clean cloth in some breast milk and freeze that to reduce mess!
I have also given, mostly my toddler, a wet washcloth that was run under cold water. You can also freeze this washcloth as well, especially if you don’t have breastmilk.
Your baby’s sore mouth will thank you for a good gum massage! All you have to do is apply gentle pressure and rub your finger in a circular motion on their gums. I have also just let my baby chew on my finger until they had too many teeth that they were biting me! Babies love the feeling of natural material, and your skin is about as natural as it can get!
Teething can be a rough time for you and your child. Teething can last until up to two years of age, maybe even longer for some children. The best thing to remember is that it won’t last forever! I hope these remedies will help your child’s pain without having to resort to potentially harmful drugs.